You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Caesar IV: Game Help
Moderated by kach, Gweilo

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.5 replies
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Caesar IV: Game Help » C4 no longer working after Windows 10 update?
Bottom
Topic Subject:C4 no longer working after Windows 10 update?
blubb
Pleb
posted 10-15-19 11:51 ET (US)         
I have the GOG version which did work on my Win10 machine about a year ago when I last played. Now I wanted to play again and it gives me the following error message upon startup:

Furthermore, every time I try a log file is created in the game directory with the following content:

C4DotNetReg: register
Unregister ScriptServer, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null: True
Unregister RomeScriptInterfaces, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null: True
Register ScriptServer, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null: True
Register RomeScriptInterfaces, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null: True

Anyone else having the same/similar issues, and/or a possible solution? Of course I already tried several compatibility mode settings, running as admin etc etc to no avail

Apparently there was a major Windows update a while ago because several other programs suddenly stopped working. I guess some functionalities were removed in order to close a security gap or something along these lines
AuthorReplies:
user3
Pleb
posted 10-15-19 13:08 ET (US)     1 / 5       
try these steps
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-visual-c-runtime-library-error-message/79f01db9-6bb5-424c-aca1-ab5174df0bc9

reboot, uninstall and reinstall C4 is a last ditch effort. Perhaps the registry got mangled months ago.
Apparently there was a major Windows update a while ago because several other programs suddenly stopped working. I guess some functionalities were removed in order to close a security gap or something along these lines
No but sometimes updates don't go smoothly and "Fresh Start" Win10 becomes the last hope.

[This message has been edited by user3 (edited 10-15-2019 @ 01:30 PM).]

blubb
Pleb
posted 10-16-19 16:51 ET (US)     2 / 5       
Thanks, did a reinstall to the C drive and now it's working again
dolde
Pleb
posted 09-05-20 10:18 ET (US)     3 / 5       
Forgive me if this is the wrong place to post. Just created an account on C4heaven to see what can I can do about this similar problem.

~2 years ago (2018) I bought a new HP laptop with Windows 10.

I had purchased Caesar 4 on Steam and the game was working at the time.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, I wanted to play C4 again (for the nostalgia) and game won't launch

Tried lots of suggestions from youtube, even a OS reinstall.

On these forums I downloaded the game demo, thinking that might work, and it did - up until loading the game map. Then crash. The demo download prompted me to install the latest version of directX so maybe that had something to do with it since I can launch the game on Steam as well, up until launching the game map.

Prior to this, I've been getting the Runtime Library error for Microsoft C++ message.

Any suggestions or experience with this? Steam won't refund the game and my laptop is current (I would imagine so, running a 2006 game on a 2018 machine!)

Thanks!
kach
Angel
posted 09-05-20 17:01 ET (US)     4 / 5       
Hi dolde. Welcome.
I did a bit of a search and came up with a few things.

Runtime library: http://caesar3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/caeforumscgi/display.cgi?action=ct&f=9,7706,50,all

DirectX: http://caesar3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/caeforumscgi/display.cgi?action=ct&f=9,7674,75,all
The directX link is still valid.

And I assume that you've waded through this one : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=754778695

I don't have Win 10 (hanging on to Win 7 for as long as possible). Is there a Win 10 equivalent of the Win 7 'reliability history'? If you can find and check this it may show what the actual problem is.
dolde
Pleb
posted 09-05-20 17:52 ET (US)     5 / 5       
Hello kach,

Thank-you for the suggestions. I have no clue what this means:

"Find and run RegisterDLL.bat as an administrator"...
but I tried it and at first it appeared as if the map was about to crash again, and then sure enough the Mediolanum map opened.

The directX download says that I have an up to date version and don't need to download anything.

The game screen is smaller than my actual laptop screen though. I guess I'll play around with it now and see if it'll crash again for whatever reason.

Thanks again for your help.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames