You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Town Square
Moderated by Jayhawk

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.4 replies
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » The Town Square » A simple proposal for downloads section
Bottom
Topic Subject:A simple proposal for downloads section
Mazeppa
Pleb
posted 11-25-19 14:30 ET (US)         
So far, I'm satisfied that here on heaven, we're granted the ability of structuring our posts with different kinds of tools, and being given the use of bold, italic and underline methods to present our texts in readable ways.

But in the downloads section, things are so archaic that you're not even given the use of basic options like bold to even present your posts; features are so primitive in the downloads section that I find it astonishing that after more than 20 years, you're still not granted the ability to format and structure your own posts, and as one who relies heavily on such things, I find it mortifying.

I'd like to propose a subtle change in that; include bold, italic and underline fonts; allow the use of indents and the ability to center your posts; control the size of your letters; grant ability to list your posts in ordered and unordered lists, like bullet points etc...

I want to be able to do this, this, this, or even:
this

this

Even these are really just basic formatting stuff, but you're not even granted the use of such things in the downloads posts section that I just find it astonishing.

[This message has been edited by Mazeppa (edited 11-25-2019 @ 02:31 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Gweilo
Angel
posted 11-26-19 06:14 ET (US)     1 / 4       
Thank you for your thoughtful comments. I will share a few comments in response:

1. From my observations, there are only 3 staff members left active to watch over all the CB Heaven sites and forums: Pecunia, Kach, and me. With this limited support, we have been constrained into a more passive, "legacy" maintenance model for the sites. This means doing any revisions to the downloads sections is probably not on the horizon to happen (and Pecunia is the only one who could do that).

2. When a new download is submitted, the "File Description / Author's Comments" section allows you to select optional formats of "Plain Text" or "HTML" (and some sites even allow "BB Code"). The "HTML" option would fit your formatting needs, provided you knew some basic HTML coding. However: I do need to point out that even if an author submits the download using HTML text, all comments added later to the download will NOT allow HTML commands (they are stripped off). I believe the reason HTML is not allowed in comments is because our downloads were getting spammed by bots and unscrupulous folks, leaving inappropriate and/or dangerous links in the comments.

Expand your fun by downloading free custom campaigns for Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom.
Visit Zeus Heaven to expand your knowledge of Zeus and Poseidon.

[This message has been edited by Gweilo (edited 11-26-2019 @ 06:32 AM).]

Mazeppa
Pleb
posted 12-03-19 18:08 ET (US)     2 / 4       
Thank you for your thoughtful comments. I will share a few comments in response:

1. From my observations, there are only 3 staff members left active to watch over all the CB Heaven sites and forums: Pecunia, Kach, and me. With this limited support, we have been constrained into a more passive, "legacy" maintenance model for the sites. This means doing any revisions to the downloads sections is probably not on the horizon to happen (and Pecunia is the only one who could do that).

2. When a new download is submitted, the "File Description / Author's Comments" section allows you to select optional formats of "Plain Text" or "HTML" (and some sites even allow "BB Code"). The "HTML" option would fit your formatting needs, provided you knew some basic HTML coding. However: I do need to point out that even if an author submits the download using HTML text, all comments added later to the download will NOT allow HTML commands (they are stripped off). I believe the reason HTML is not allowed in comments is because our downloads were getting spammed by bots and unscrupulous folks, leaving inappropriate and/or dangerous links in the comments.
I see, that's very unfortunate... but I guess that's the reason it's been like that in the downloads' comment section for a couple of decades... Admittedly, I didn't know the HTML option would allow such formatting stuff, especially for file descriptions, so I guess that's good to know.

How do I check for HTML codes, granted that in my future uploads, I'm most likely to abuse them in the future?

[This message has been edited by Mazeppa (edited 12-03-2019 @ 06:09 PM).]

user3
Pleb
posted 12-06-19 00:12 ET (US)     3 / 4       
HTML is similar to the bb code used in your first post

<b>bold</b>
<u>underline</u>
<s>strikeout</s>
<i>italics</i>
<ul>
<li>Coffee</li>
<li>Tea</li>
<li>Milk</li>
</ul>
<ol type="A">
<li>Coffee</li>
<li>Tea</li>
<li>Milk</li>
</ol>

which looks like this

bold
underline
strikeout
italics

• Coffee

• Tea

• Milk

1. Coffee

2. Tea

3. Milk

There are simple WYSIWYG editors that can be saved as *.htm and read by Notepad which you can then copy and paste the text into the DL section.

See https://www.w3schools.com/tags/default.asp for a complete list of tags if you prefer to code the text yourself. Images have to be accessible from the internet as HG doesn't provide a space for that. I have used https://postimages.org/ in the past for images displayed at HG forums.

[This message has been edited by user3 (edited 12-06-2019 @ 00:36 AM).]

Mazeppa
Pleb
posted 12-07-19 16:40 ET (US)     4 / 4       
Ah, I see.

That's very helpful indeed.
Thanks a lot for the info.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames