Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.6 replies
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » The Town Square » Greetings to All
Bottom
Topic Subject:Greetings to All
Yahya
Pleb
posted 11-17-18 05:50 ET (US)         
So last week I dusted off my citybuilding games, and I've just come back to see recent posts in every forum. It's great to see this community still living on.

Hope everyone's well!
AuthorReplies:
Brugle
HG Alumnus
posted 11-17-18 08:09 ET (US)     1 / 6       
Hi Yahya, it's good to hear from you. Can we expect to hear about your new exploits?
Yahya
Pleb
posted 11-17-18 09:17 ET (US)     2 / 6       
Hey Brugle,

I'm particularly pleased to see you still kicking around these parts.

Yeah, probably. I just finished Tarraco, which I now remember I hate due to the lack of space.

I read over a lot of our old discussions this morning, and it's crazy how much I've learned and forgotten. It all comes rushing back, however.
Gweilo
Angel
posted 11-18-18 08:55 ET (US)     3 / 6       
Welcome back! If you never gave Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom a try, now is the time! You can buy it now at GOG.com with the other CB games.

Expand your fun by downloading free custom campaigns for Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom.
Visit Zeus Heaven to expand your knowledge of Zeus and Poseidon.
Yahya
Pleb
posted 11-18-18 11:12 ET (US)     4 / 6       
Oh, I've got all the games, and I've always liked Emperor more than Zeus.

But I've never gotten very good at either of those. Maybe this time I'll make it through all 4 games.
Yahya
Pleb
posted 11-19-18 08:51 ET (US)     5 / 6       
I'll offer out a little more information.

First, for Gweilo, I spent the weekend running through the tutorials of C3, Pharaoh, Zeus, and Emperor to reacclimate myself.

I've said this before, but Zeus and Emperor are almost literally a different genre due to the changes. They introduce new types of difficulty while removing older ones.
Can we expect to hear about your new exploits?
In reviewing our past discussions, I see spurts of activity from me here which correspond to periods in my life the last twelve years or so.

In September 2007, I started an associate degree at a community college, which I finished in May 2009. Right on top of that graduation we moved 100 miles into Rhode Island to be closer to my wife's family (in fact, we moved prior to the graduation, and went back so I could walk for my degree).

In December 2010, I began my bachelor's degree, which was completed in May 2012. In September 2012 I started a master's degree in modern European history. I completed 11 courses in graduate school, and in every one of them I was able to write about European (or American) handling of Middle Eastern colonies or Middle Easterners in Europe or America. Needless to say, I learned a ton.

It'd be easy to say those degrees haven't helped me, but that'd be nonsense. If nothing else, I'm a much better writer and I'm vastly more skilled at quickly reading a text and pulling out critical information, documenting it so it can later by synergized with other sources.

But I tell people I learned 3 things in grad school:
1. The perfect is the enemy of the good: Don't try to be perfect; just turn in the project and you'll be informed what needs improvement

2. Plan, then plan some more, and then plan again: You'll accomplish nothing great in your life without a solid plan (I'm still working on these skills)

3. Everyone has bias in everything they do: This is true among historians, and it's true in business and personal interactions; if you can get a handle on the bias, you can better empathize with the other party

[This message has been edited by Yahya (edited 11-19-2018 @ 08:52 AM).]

Yahya
Pleb
posted 11-20-18 16:32 ET (US)     6 / 6       
Having read over all of the C3 threads I've created over the years, I'm reminded of all the amazing discussions I've had with Brugle since about 2006.

Thank you, Brugle, for always being patient, helpful, and when needed, brutally blunt.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames